Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Architect Dream :-)

In the recent days I became crazy about architecture; better design; better code; As a chain effect,I decided to take up J2EE Architect exam. Sun itself recommends (not mandates) that the candidate should have minimum of 6 to 8 years Java/J2EE experience to appear for this exam. Last Saturday, I decided to take up this exam. I am not sure how dare I was, at the point of time, to take such decision. I booked the exam within 6 days.

My background is: I know EJB concepts/UML/Networking layouts/Server architecture basics. But, this skill is really poor to take up such an exam. I was left with no clue. Sometimes, some strange things happen right! I got a mad curiosity towards architecture and started reading books so fast. I've never read a book that fast in my lifetime, and never had such a capability to understand/interpret/memorize the stuffs. But, it happened. Within 4 days I grabbed the confidence to pass the exam. In the last two days, I went through lots of mock exams, short notes.

I have myself created many Thumb rules for my understanding, from various sources of books, and sites.

Exam questions were really simple and I was able to score more.My score is 95%, missing two questions, on the whole. (good number, isnt it? ;-) )

I don't remember exactly why I choose this exam; I probably would have thought putting a full-stop to the certification hierarchy, because this certification is the highest level of Sun's Java Certification hierarchy. But one thing is for sue -- I like Sun's java exams. They are very good learning aids for Java/J2EE. The syllabus for every exam is designed with great care that the candidate should know the hardcore stuffs in the specific technology.

Refer the exam objectives here:

http://www.sun.com/training/catalog/courses/CX-310-051.xml

9 comments:

Ramprasad said...

Awesome Mani. You are one of the many people I would like to regard with respect.

Manivannan P said...

thanks ram ;-) you too one among them, for me :-)

Manikanda kumar said...

I would like share my thoughts from my experience. It is more of a personal opinion.

I attended the SCEA training directly from Sun Microsystems training Staff as a part of training series for Architects in my project (Don't ask me how did I get a chance to attend trainings meant for Architects ;-)). Bases on that, I would say, it isn't that difficult to clear this exam. The contents/syllabus looks quite straight forward in paper, but it isn't in reality! That's why I personally don't want to take up this exam right now. The design patterns, best practices are meant to be learnt by practicing more than by reading.

It shouldn't happen that we have this certificate and later we are in the situation of not able to answer questions related to architecture. That's where experience really matters and is the reason why i really wanted to make sure I've enough knowledge (experience) beforehand to take up this exam. Unlike other exams, like SCJP and SCBCD, SCEA is more towards generic subject. For e.g., if you take scalability, you may need to address them in context of various things like application servers, databases, web servers, clustering etc., This certification don't teach you such difficult scenarios in real time! This is where experience takes a upper hand than having knowledge of architecture. This is what is required of a true Software Architect, who should be able to come out with an answer (or at least an alternative) for any problem.

Also, don't commit yourself too much to architecture, best practices, etc., as they say "pre-mature optimization kills!". I've seen many people faultering of not providing required funtionality by concentrating more on refactoring! Always concentrate on the functionality rather than improving the existing design. What we finally want is Functionality. Remember, "Less is always more" at least in case of software development.

Manivannan P said...

Thats true. This certificate does not make an 'architect'. But, it can show the glimpse of how the real architect will work.
I am bored of learning technology. This architect exam can give an opening to explore scenarios than technologies.
At least I have some idea about architect's role - that I learnt from my architects. All I learnt from this exam is, what to learn, & how to apply. However, I cannot claim that I am a ready-made architect.

Manikanda kumar said...

as you said, 'glimpse' of architect, not real picture of what architect does!

I shall share (via e-mail) you some of the resources related to architecture (scalability, clustering) which might help you move along the path to Architect!

Manivannan P said...

as you said, 'glimpse' of architect, not real picture of what architect >does!
--

Thats not true actually. I dont know how was your SCEA training. I think they should have presented some PPT with some bullet points on 'How to pass the exam'. But, if you go by syllabus, without any specific guides, then it is really tough. I really scared till the last night before the exam. Because, I always felt, there was a gap, that I am missing out.

The objectives are minimum requirements for a J2EE architect mani. That does not claim, it can 'create()' an Architect.

The objectives clarifies the role separation for an Architect. And, one more reason why I opted this exam is, Sun's syllabus is a great guide to learn technology.

Yes, I will be glad to see that architectural document. You can mail me, if no restrictions apply: manivannan57 at yahoo.com

Manivannan P said...

Mani if you see, both we are arguing for same thing;

This exam cannot make an architect, it can come only by experience - hope, this is what you say and I too.

Manikanda kumar said...

I completely respect the SCEA from Sun, but the only point I wanted to share is that this is too early to take up Certification.

The learning will be useful, but I feel doing the certification is not needed at the moment! If you feel taking up the certification will drive you to learn more, go ahead!

It is really good for one to learn more things. Google is the best place where I started learning more about Architecture, each of their product depict their own supreme architecture and design, one such great design is Google Gears.

Admin said...

This is the best post ever, will like to read more from you.
I came across some race horse and a camel supplements for pre race stimulant and anti inflammation. Here you can see more
Buy Poison 15ml Online
Buy Kynoselen 100ml Online
Buy Bio blocker 100ml Online
Order Fluvet 50ml Online
Buy Diurizone 50ml Online
Buy Dexarace 20ml Online
Buy Dexapheylarthrite Online
Dexacortyl 100ml Horse Camel Supplements
Buy Dexa-Chlorid 50ml online you can as well whatsapp text +1(415)237-3209 , wickr: maxme007 or email:miradukes6@gmail.com for more details