Monday, September 03, 2007

Art of designing it.

I am planning to add a new module to my pet project. This is the proposed class diagram design for the new module. Nowadays I am becoming very crazy about better design and better architecture. I spent a lot of time on these diagrams, to get it better and better. First, I drew this diagram in one shot with few classes. Within few minutes, I thought that the design was bad, so I crushed the paper and thrown out. Like wise, three papers went to the dust bin and finally, I got something better on the paper. This is a reusable, modular, pattern oriented design. I thought of drawing other diagrams also. But, this is my personal project and why I should take much pain! :-)

I might start coding slowly. I am expecting a developer gang to join for the code development. Let's see again how it goes. I dont have plan or schedule for release, because this is absolutely my personal project, based on personal interest, and a base for personal learning :-)


(Click on the image to enlarge it)

4 comments:

Manikanda kumar said...

Which UML tool are you using?

I use UML Plugin, a netbeans plug-in which is really great. It has featuers like reverse engineering and template code generation which one would've seen in popular products like Rational Rose. And yes, this tool is absolutely free! It really amazed me when I started to use. Give it a try!

Also check out the discussion on UML Tools

I thought of contributing something to this project, but again time is biggest constraint! Nevertheless, keep posting about architecture and other design issues so that I can also comment on some.

Manivannan said...

hi mani. thanks for the info. i use visual paradigm tool. btw, this is the first time, i use a tool, so far I was just using papers to draw diagrams :-)

I'll check the links you've given. I use Eclipse/Jdeveloper IDE. Is there any great plug-ins for Eclipse? I've not tried google.

Manikanda kumar said...

Please refer Improving Code Quality using Eclipse Plug-ins.

Manivannan P said...

thanks mani. i will do that at sometimes.