Monday, June 23, 2008

Kudu Kuduppaikaran

It was a Saturday early morning, say 5’o clock. I couldn’t continue sleeping as I was hearing a strange sound continuously. That sound was not new to me. I remember I heard the sound some where at sometime long ago. I woke up and sharpened the ears close to the sound. That was clear then. It was a KuduKuduppai sound. I don’t know how many of you could have heard this sound in your childhood. Not sure, what kind of feeling you have had when you heard the sound of KuduKuduppai at that time. But, I've had a scared feeling at my childhood whenever I heard that sound. The KuduKuduppaikaran (couldn’t find an English equivalent for ‘KuduKuduppaikaran’ anywhere!.) walks along the streets in the mid-night. He has a terrific make-up as if some ghost comes along with him and he tells fortune at each house in the street.

Also, I’ve heard so many rumors about this KuduKuduppaikaran in my childhood. My mom used to tell me that people would not attempt to meet this KuduKuduppaikaran face to face at mid-night, when he is coming on the streets; because he would be coming along with ghosts. Also, my childhood friends used to tell stories that this KuduKuduppaikaran visits grave yards in the midnight and does some special pooja with skulls, bones and then come into streets to tell the fortune. I scared to the maximum about this KuduKuduppaikaran then! Thereafter, whenever I heard this KuduKuduppai sound in the mid-nights, I scared…embraced my mom and used to cover my face using her saree due to fear! Though they were rumors, I didn’t have a choice other than believing it – as I was a child.

Days passed by. I’ve grown. Live in boring Bangalore – where I don’t have any such interesting story tellers. After many years, I heard this sound at an early morning! Instead of scaring, I felt happy this time! I was happy that this guy had not yet gone missing. I just opened my windows and watched around. He was singing some strange song, probably it was a mix of Kannata & Tamil languages. He stopped at each door step and was telling fortune. He was walking on his own way then.

I feel sympathy for him now. He cant get a job it seems. Same time, he doesn’t want to beg. So, he does fortune telling, what his ancestors used to do. Nowadays these people are decreasing in number. In childhood, they told me hoax stories about this KuduKuduppaikaran. Then, who can tell me a correct story about him now?

Mr. Google.

Intially I couldn’t get any results on Google about this KuduKuduppaikaran. But, I didn’t want to give up. Rephrased, refined the keywords and shot again. Then, google returned some shocking news about these KuduKudppai Community. This the result, I’ve got from google (text is in Tamil, better readable in Internet Explorer or FireFox3):

http://photobala.blogspot.com/2007/07/blog-post.html

Shocked. I am really heart-broken to read that this community is denied education & work! I wish them one day they get all the benefits and rights in the society that we’ve today.

I scared to see this people in my childhood. Now, mind-set had totally changed.. I am happy to see such strange things back in life!

10 comments:

V.Rajalakshmi said...

Hai Frnd I am krshi[rajju-ki-kavita] Thanks for Ur opinion or wish write tamil font Why?not...How I Will contact u...Give ur e_Mail id....My id is rajjure@gmail.com...I read about Kudu Kudupaikaran..[I scared…embraced my mom and used to cover my face using her saree due to fear!ran..now a days!!!!!this line i read (had) bit smile]...very nice...i saw [http://photobala.blogspot.com]realy am also socked... u know?same to Kurivikkaaran community

Manivannan P said...

@rajalakshmi,
Thanks for your comment!

The link to download tamil font software is: http://www.iit.edu/~laksvij/language/ilc.zip

Unzip it, and open tamil.html, then start typing in tamil!

(visit: http://www.tamil.net/ and scroll up to the bottom, you will see text boxes that transform to tamil text as you type in english)

V.Rajalakshmi said...

Hai Frnd.. About Aadhi moolam [kudu kuduppaikaran]very poor pa yenna solvadhu ena theriyala...anaal manam migavum kasttama irundhadhu....ini marakamudiyadha ninaivaagivittadhu pavam govt yedum ivargalukku saiyaadha?realy very sorrowful...

V.Rajalakshmi said...

Thank u very much Frnd i wrote English letters then change tamil font vowwwwwwwww....Thanku very much....

V.Rajalakshmi said...

Sorry frnd Tamil font not work in my computer..how i dont know..

Animal_lovers_voice said...

Came across your blog when i was googling about kudu kuduppaikaran... as i heard it last night in BANGALORE ....Well it is really sad to know that you find bangalore " boring"... I being a bangalorean i am really sorry to say that i hardly find any of the guys who came here for job search actually mingling with the local culture.... forget the language part... you dont even appreciate what this place has to offer... how can you even say that it is boring or not ????.... how many drama theatres have you been to?... do you know,like margazhi maasam in chennai, here also during dasara, a month long music and threater fest happens??..... loads of places where you can trek and see nature along the banks of Cuaveri.... m sorry dudde.... every city is beautiful and has loads to offer... it is just what WE make of it

Animal_lovers_voice said...

Came across your blog when i was googling about kudu kuduppaikaran... as i heard it last night in BANGALORE ....Well it is really sad to know that you find bangalore " boring"... I being a bangalorean i am really sorry to say that i hardly find any of the guys who came here for job search actually mingling with the local culture.... forget the language part... you dont even appreciate what this place has to offer... how can you even say that it is boring or not ????.... how many drama theatres have you been to?... do you know,like margazhi maasam in chennai, here also during dasara, a month long music and threater fest happens??..... loads of places where you can trek and see nature along the banks of Cuaveri.... m sorry dudde.... every city is beautiful and has loads to offer... it is just what WE make of it

Anonymous said...

Hi guys.. Thanks 4tis story. Who said tat community is denied education & work. V couldn't get all the benefits and rights in the society that u’ve today. Bcoz v dnt hv community certificate (i.e., Scheduled Tribe (ST). If v get d ST certificate v vil also get shine in d world n recognised by d ppl/Govt. Bt for ur kind info., nowadays kudukuduppai community ppl also studying n working. I'm also frm tat community only n i studied B.com, MBA. I'm working in a reputed MNC company(Top 5 in India) n im in a gud position (Designation wise). Without community certificate v didn't get any scholarships, benefits and rights in the society nor frm d Govt. Im damn sure v vil get d same n rock ASAP.

leela2710 said...

Can anyone of you explain why kudukuduppaikaran wears the blazer/coat

Anonymous said...

Are they belong to ST Category